argenx reports first quarter 2018 financial results and provides business update
May 09, 2018
Breda, the Netherlands / Ghent, Belgium – argenx (Euronext & Nasdaq: ARGX), a clinical-stage biotechnology company developing a deep pipeline of differentiated antibody-based therapies for the treatment of severe autoimmune diseases and cancer, today announced financial results and provided a business update for the first quarter ended March 31, 2018.
“We made excellent progress this quarter in executing on our pipeline strategy and are well-prepared for another milestone-rich year ahead in 2018. To start with our lead program efgartigimod (ARGX-113), we presented the full data set from the Phase 2 clinical trial in myasthenia gravis at the American Academy of Neurology (AAN) Annual Meeting showing a reduction in disease scores that correlated with our understanding of the drug candidate’s mechanism. We also made headway in Europe, having received an orphan drug designation in this first indication. We remain on track to report data from two additional indications for efgartigimod, including immune thrombocytopenia and pemphigus vulgaris, in the second half of the year,” commented Tim Van Hauwermeiren, CEO of argenx. “The rest of our pipeline is also progressing, including ARGX-110, where we transitioned into the Phase 2 portion of the clinical trial in newly diagnosed AML patients unfit for chemotherapy and expect to report new response data by the end of the year. We continue to look for exciting targets across our research institution partners, and showcased this in the first quarter with the addition of ARGX-117 to our pipeline, offering a new target pathway for argenx and potentially a way to add synergistic value to our efgartigimod pipeline-in-a-product approach.”
FIRST QUARTER 2018 AND RECENT HIGHLIGHTS
- Presented complete data from Phase 2 clinical trial of efgartigimod (ARGX-113) in generalized myasthenia gravis (MG) at the AAN Annual Meeting.
- Announced orphan drug designation for efgartigimod for treatment of MG in Europe.
- Initiated Phase 2 part of Phase 1/2 proof-of-concept trial of ARGX-110 (10mg/kg) in combination with azacytidine in newly diagnosed acute myeloid leukemia (AML) and high-risk myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS) patients who are unfit for chemotherapy.
- Expanded pipeline with the addition of complement-targeted ARGX-117 for the treatment of severe autoimmune diseases. ARGX-117 has potential synergistic effects with our lead autoimmune compound, efgartigimod.
- Received third preclinical milestone payment from collaboration with LEO Pharma following approval of a clinical trial application (CTA) filing for ARGX-112.
- Announced €2.5 million grant from Flanders Innovation and Entrepreneurship (VLAIO), which will be used to examine the role and therapeutic potential of proteins involved in regulating the localized release of transforming growth factor-beta (TGF-β).
- Appointed R. Keith Woods as Chief Operating Officer.
FINANCIAL HIGHLIGHTS (as of March 31, 2018) (compared to financial highlights as of March 31, 2017)
- Operating income of €6.9 million (March 31, 2017: €7.2 million).
- Total comprehensive loss of €17.7 million (March 31, 2017: €8.4 million).
- Cash position of €346.6 million (cash, cash-equivalents and current financial assets) (March 31, 2017: €85.0 million), allowing us to pursue development of our product candidate portfolio in line with our communicated business plan.
Full press release - see download